Join Hacker Space Seoul
As a community space, Hackerspace is always looking to attract and bring together new members. New ideas and perspectives are vital for maintaining the creative momentum that will help the first Hackerspace in Seoul prosper.
Those interested in becoming a member and working in the space can email us or drop by during open hours. All members are given the opportunity to interact and collaborate with like-minded people. There will be workshops, collaborative projects, special events and other opportunities that all members will have a chance to participate in. All members will also have access to the community tools and resources in the space.
There is a financial commitment required from all members who wish to use the space. It would be great if Hackerspace could operate and offer free membership; however Hackerspace currently depends on its members. Furthermore, Hackerspace will consider and accommodate anyone’s specific situation.
Any inquiries, questions or comments are welcome and will be best addressed by sending an Email to Seoulhackerspace@gmail.com. You can also leave any input on the Hackerspace Facebook page.
- Common Tools & Equipment Items belonging to HackerSpace Seoul (hereinafter referred to as HSS) that may be used by any member at any time inside the HSS workspace in Euljiro. Common tools and equipment shared among members will be labeled as HSS property.
- Board Member Board Members are HSS members who collectively direct overall HSS policy, operations and activities. All board members individually hold voting rights on all matters that concern HSS, and have a comprehensive understanding of HSS's mission and future direction. Board Members are strongly committed to promoting the core values and sustainable growth of HSS and advancing the hackerspace movement at-large.
- General Member is an individual who pay a monthly fee to utilize the shared workspace and tools in HSS.
- Workshop A formal educational workshop or seminar generally open to the public that emphasizes knowledge and practice in a specific topic or field. Workshops collect fees from participants and must adhere to the Workshop Policy (4).
- Day Use Fee: Any individual who is not a member who enters the space to work on personal projects or help with other projects, including using table space or tools, must pay a daily rate of 5,000 won per person.
- Non-members who wish to access the space may call HSS's landline - 02-2285-5051- to check if a member is present before coming to the space.
- Day Users must observe Safety Protocols and Space Use Rules at all times
- Members are welcome to bring guests. If any of the guests work/help on projects or use any common tools and equipment or any of the resources in HSS, then those individuals must pay the Day Use Fee. Members must always be present with their guests in HSS and are responsible for their conduct.
- Membership is effective immediately upon confirmation of payment. All members are bound to the following terms and conditions:
- (a) 24 hour access to the space and door codes.
- Members are given the door access code for the building entrance and the access code for the HSS entrance on the 4th floor. The HSS access code changes monthly and is notified to all current, new, and renewing members every month.
- (b) Discounts on HSS workshops & events
- All members will have an equal opportunity to attend workshops or events at a discounted price. Discounts will depend on the host and existing circumstances.
- (c) Access to all common tools & equipment
- Personal equipment, tools and material that one does not wish to share or be available for other members must have a label indicating who the owner is and be kept separate by the owner.
- (a) Membership dues and renewals must be paid in full to the HSS account.
- Membership Fee: 60,000won per month. Payment in 3-month or 6-month installments strongly recommended.
- Exception 3B(a): Those who wish to accept responsibility of managerial tasks such as scheduling, tool management, space management, etc. will be eligible for a discount pending approval by Board Members.
- No Refunds: There are no refunds after payment. Individual or unique cases may be addressed and handled by Board Members.
- Members not renewing the following month must give a two week notice.
- (b) Adhere to the general and space rules.
- (c) Assist with any duties or tasks that will benefit HSS.
- (d) Be responsible for common equipment, tools and security and safety when present in the space.
- (e) Assist others working in the space when needed.
- (f) Do not give out the door codes to anyone, ever.
- (a) Any member who consistently demonstrates active interest and involvement in HSS operations and activities will automatically be considered for Board Member status.
Workshop & Space Rental Policy
- The following applies to any individual or group who wishes to use the whole space at a certain time for workshops, events, or personal use:
- The following information must be submitted at least 4 weeks in advance, relative to the desired date of the workshop:
- A responsible party or individual who accepts responsibility for the common tools/equipment and safety of all who are present.
- Expected number of attendees.
- Hours of use
- A schedule and itinerary of events/activities
- Space demands, such as use of electricity, projector, computers or common tools.
- HSS workshops are entirely funded by the generous donations from the HSS community and guests. HSS requests donations from workshop participants to cover workshop expenses including purchases of materials & supplies and general operating costs.
Communal Purchases - Use of HSS Funds
- Entitlement All financial expenditures and allocations must be made by a Board Member.
- Approval by all Board Members prior to purchase.
- Exception 5(b): Under extenuating circumstances, a Board Member may make a purchase when it’s done in the best interest of HSS.
- All receipts must be kept
Space Use - Rules for Maintaining the Space
- No aggressive behavior
- No sexism or sexist remarks
- No trashing other people’s ideas.
- No systematic foul language (in any language).
- Be open to criticism and sarcasm.
Space Use Rules
- *Door codes change monthly.
- Sign in whenever you come to use the space.
- Put everything back where you found them.
- If you make a mess, clean it up.
- If the trash is full, take it out.
- Be courteous/conscious of any odors, visuals or sounds that may disrupt others.
- Be energy conscious; don’t overuse the HVAC or keep electronics running unnecessarily.
- Keep your projects organized in your personal shelf space.
- Clear up the table space you used and push in the chairs in when you leave.
- Do not touch anyone else's equipment/material in their personal shelf space without the owner's permission.
- Report any serious conflicts or issues to one of the core members immediately.
- Material Use: if you use any of the common resources/materials, esp. if you deplete them or use large quantities, please replenish what you used or donate funds to have more material purchased.
- A/C: When the air conditioner is running, CLOSE all windows. Also, to keep electricity utility costs low, only run the air conditioner when it is very hot. Using a fan would be cheaper, located on the top shelf.
- Food: if you are eating in HSS, be sure to take your food waste out with you and do not leave it in the trash, there are cockroaches!
- Trash: If you notice that there is a trash pile, please tie or tape the trash bags and take them down stairs. You can leave them by the front door under the sign.
- Leaving: Be sure to turn off all power/electricity outlets and clean up where you were working. Do not leave it a mess for other members to deal with. Return all tools where you got them. On weekends, be sure to turn off all lights in the hallway on your way out.
Safety - for Creating a Safe Environment
- Be responsible for personal behavior and any others that are in the vicinity.
- Be vigilant about any others in the space and act if there may be any potential threat or hazard.
- Wear appropriate safety material when handling tools and equipment.
- Immediately fix anything that may be potentially hazardous.
- When any section of the membership and space use policies are to be edited
- Submittal: A written document indicating such changes and any reasons or explanations.
- Approval by all Board Members.